Jamaican High Commission United Kingdom

Jamaican high commission

Other Non Passport Issues

Q: Does the Jamaican High Commission authenticate and legalise documents?


Yes. The cost is £15 per signature Plus Consular and Admin Fee.  This fee is applicable to all applications/serrvices offered at the High Commission.

Q: Does the High Commission issue Deed Polls, Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates or Death Certificates?


No, relevant forms can be downloaded from the Registrar General’s Department of Jamaica at www.rgd.gov.jm.

Applications must be sent to:

  • Registrar General’s Deparment
  • Twickenham Park,
  • St. Catherine,
  • Jamaica.

Q: My surname does not appear on my Birth Certificate; what should I do?


You may present your original Birth Certificate along with a previously issued Jamaican Passport showing your surname.

If you are unable to show an original Birth Certificate, you will need to apply for one through the Registrar General’s Department (RGD, located at Twickenham Park, St. Catherine, Jamaica). A Late Entry of Name (LEN) form may apply in your case.

Q: Can I obtain the name of a solicitor in the United Kingdom from the High Commission who can deal with matters in Jamaica?


The High Commission is not in a position to recommend solicitors.

Q: Can I renew my Jamaican driver’s licence through the High Commission?


No, you may not.You will require an individual in Jamaica to transact the renewal on your behalf.

  • The application form should be completed in full and signed in the presence of a Notary Public/Embassy or High Commission Official who should affix his stamp and duly sign the form, as well as one (1) passport sized photo of the applicant.
  • The applicant should address a letter of authorization to the Collector of Taxes in the locale in Jamaica giving clear and sole authority to the bearer of the letter by name to conduct the transaction on behalf of the applicant. 
  • The applicant should send to the individual acting on his/her behalf the:
    • Completed Application Form
    • Authorization letter
    • One (1) passport size photo
    • Relevant fee

Processing of the application should begin immediately after the necessary documents have been submitted to the Tax Office of original issue of the licence.  The processing time should be approximately 10 working days. Please recall that this process is undertaken in Jamaican.


Q: Are Foreign Nationals with criminal records allowed to enter Jamaica


Foreign Nationals with criminal records are not usually allowed to enter Jamaica. 

However, specific cases can be referred to the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) via the High Commission, so they can be reviewed and a decision made by that Agency as to whether such foreign national will be allowed in the country.